Ran into some minor hurdles in upgrading to Dovecot 2.0. Definitely need to read the docs on upgrading a bit better next time... But after some work, I have it running here.
Recently in Postfix Category
As I mentioned last week, I've been working on upgrading my system from 10.5.7 to 10.6.3, performing as clean of an install as possible to clear out years of crud under the hood. I've wrapped up the last of my upgrades, and am up and running on a freshly built system.
The only real hiccup was with the Postfix compile, once that was sorted, everything else was fairly straightforward, simply a matter of grabbing all of the various packages to make everything here run, run through all the necessary compiles, then finally transfer over various changed files since the last copy.
Here is a list of the software currently installed for mail and web services:
PHP 5.3.1 (10.6 built in version)
Apache 2.2.14 (10.6 built in version)
Cluebringer 2.0.10 (Policyd 2.0)
Initially I needed to copy the etc/postfix directory to preserve configuration files when installing the new Postfix,also copied over /var/mail to bring over the mail stores used by Postfix/Dovecot, and a handful of other config files, /Library/Webserver for the web pages.
To get Apache running, there were some simple edits to enable the built in PHP, and setting up the correct vhosts again; I hand edited the files to match the old config to keep from introducing any unneeded changes.
I think that the only real surprise was that there weren't more surprises. I now have everything running in 64 bit mode on the new server, with the exception of some 3rd party apps. Sweet.
In my web searching recently, I came across DIYMacServer, a site who's focus is all about running Postfix, Apache, PHP, Dovecot, and related code on the Mac. There are numerous articles about each software update that comes down the line, and the author, Richard Valk, does a great job at documenting everything he can about changes each update brings, and how it effects his system.
So, I'm trying to compile Postfix 2.7 on my new 10.6 system. During make, I get this:
In file included from dns_lookup.c:152:
dns.h:23:29: error: nameser8_compat.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [dns_lookup.o] Error 1
make: *** [update] Error 1
A google search found a suggested fix, in /src/util/sys_defs.h, the following line should be commented out:
With this line commented out, I'm able to get a good build, but at what cost? Presumably this is going to break some of the name resolution that Postfix uses, which would not be good. After reporting this on the Postfix mailing list, I spent some additional time researching the issue, but ironically kept coming up with various pages that mirror the Postfix list, and kept coming back to my own posting... Time to switch gears.
It's upgrade time again here, and I've made the decision to set up a brand new system on the Mac Mini here. The current system originally started out under 10.3, was then upgraded to 10.4, then 10.5, and also saw at least one hardware switch in there. While fairly stable, I know there's a lot of crud under the hood left over from all the various installs, upgrades, and software changes. So, I'm setting up a new server completely from scratch on Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.3. I've set up a spare Mini for this work, so I can have both systems up and running simultaneously.
Finally got around to upgrading from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7, good news, nothing broke Postfix this time!
Took the opportunity to also upgrade Postfix, now at 2.6.2 here. Nothing tricky about the upgrade, just follow the standard build instructions. Also upgraded Dovecot from 1.13 to 1.2, just released. Again, nothing terribly tricky, just read the docs.
I've dumped the old Courier IMAP software that I had been using for POP/IMAP in favor of Dovecot. I had no real reason to do so, Courier IMAP was running fine (though I did have issues during install last time around). However, Dovecot does seem to be the new hotness, so I decided to give it a go.