January 2008 Archives

OK, I had read more into Movabletype's marketing hype than I should have, the templates used are basically the same as 4.01, but there are a new Enterprise and Community Solution options that apparently give some more template options for setting up sites other than plain blogs, so that is of no help to me.

There is, I found, a new plugin that allows for template exporting, but it requires a paid license, so it looks like that's out for me as well. I was able to get all my prior modifications back in place, so I'm back to getting the final template and CSS changes put in place to make the new template look like my old one.

Well, just when I'm ready to get the final set of changes to my old templates into my test Movabletype 4.01 installation, I find that Movable Type 4.1 has been released, and included in this is a new set of templates and tools for managing them. So, I'm scrapping all the work I've done and moving my test setup to MT 4.1. I'm relatively confident that making changes to the bundled templates will be easier, and the learning I had already done should make this transition a fair bit easier.

It's slow going... The new template structure is nice, everything is broken up logically, but there is a lot of new CSS markup that I'm working around, and I'm not crazy about how they have their stylesheets done.

Also, the formatting of the HTML and MT code is terrible, all the formatting is done with spaces, no tabs. This was done, I'm sure, because the templates are edited via the web browser, and entering a tab in a text field is a bit hard to do, but it would have been so much nicer if after saving the spaces had been converted to tabs to make things more readable and ensure that everything lines up, which the built in templates don't.

I've started playing with Movabletype 4.01, quite a bit changed from 3.x, and of primary importance to me is the new template structure. Since I'll need to play with this a bit before going live, I've set up a secondary installation of MT4 alongside my MT3 installation.

Basically, I used the new install instructions, but renamed the mtstatic folder to mtstatic2, and instead of a MT folder in my CGI-Bin, I created a folder called MT2 and placed all the necessary bits there. A quick setup of the new DB structure and config, and it was quickly up and running. Now to hammer out the templates...

For Christmas, I purchased a Case-Mate Signature Leather iPhone Case for my wife's new iPhone, in Pink, of course. Being the popular item that it was, it was backordered, but at last arrived just prior to Christmas. She's been using the case for a while, so I'm here to report back on this one.

November 2010

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from January 2008 listed from newest to oldest.

December 2007 is the previous archive.

February 2008 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Powered by Movable Type 5.031